**Read our Faculty Brochure**
We need your help to find licensees for your innovations. We do as much as possible to keep you focused on your on-campus responsibilities. Nevertheless, we will ask you to:
- Work closely with our patent attorneys to draft the best possible patent applications
- Respond in a timely manner to patent deadlines
- Help us understand the benefits of your innovation
- Identify potential licensees and speak with interested companies
- Have reasonable expectations (most university innovations do not make a lot of money – if any).
If you want to found your own startup company, you will have significantly more responsibilities than those who wish to license their innovations to an established company. Learn more about forming a startup.
Looking to partner with CSU? We want to partner with you, whether it is through a license agreement to our IP or via sponsored research at the University. We do our best to understand your motivations and constraints, and strive to be flexible when negotiating licenses and other agreements.
Please understand that we, as an affiliate of a public university:
- Must protect CSU’s academic mission that includes publishing and conducting not-for-profit research
- Must comply with the Bayh-Dole Act when federal funding is or may be used
- Represent world-class faculty, instrumentation, and facilities that require overhead
- Cannot obligate CSU to perform under work-for-hire arrangements.
Investors & Entrepreneurs
We are always looking for ways to partner with and engage you. There is no better place to find creative, cutting-edge innovations and startup companies than a university. Many of our innovations and startups could use your help and in turn could provide substantial rewards to you.
- CSU innovations best suited for new companies are usually early-stage and higher risk.
- Our faculty and researchers are brilliant and energetic but also very busy.
- Our startups have access to resources that others do not, but are still cash-strapped.
- We think big and want our startups to find the capital necessary to have maximum impact.
- We generally discourage slow-growth, “life style” businesses.
Watch Our Video To Learn More About CSU Innovation