The Advanced Industries (AI) Accelerator Grant Programs were created in 2013 by the Colorado Legislature to promote the success of seven designated industries in the State of Colorado. These industries include: Aerospace, Advanced Manufacturing, Bioscience, Electronics, Energy and Natural Resources, Infrastructure Engineering, and Technology and Information. Grants are available for proof of concept research, early-stage capital and retention, infrastructure funding, and AI Exports. The AI Accelerator Grant Programs are administered through the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade (OEDIT). See the program website for additional information.
Proof of Concept Grants:
Under the AI Accelerator Proof of Concept (POC) Grant Program, funding is available to support the commercialization of technologies being developed at Colorado research institutions in any of the seven AIs listed above. There are two channels through which these funds are available to CSU researchers, which are described below.
(1) CSU VENTURES ALLOCATION: Under the AI Accelerator POC Grant Program, technology transfer offices at Colorado research institutions with significant annual research expenditure are allocated funding to award to promising POC projects in the advanced industries. In FY2018, CSU Ventures has been allocated $487,877 to award to POC projects at Colorado State University. To apply for this funding, follow the application instructions below.
To begin the application process, please submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) to email@example.com by 4pm on September 5, 2017, using the template provided. There is a 1:3 (1 Applicant: 3 OEDIT) matching requirement for the AI POC Program. Matching funds must be cash (no in-kind). Proposals should request no more than $70,000 in AI funding (not including matching funds).
Applicants invited to submit full applications will be emailed the full application template, which needs to be completed by 4pm on October 9, 2017. At this stage, CSU Ventures staff may work with you to add additional money to your budget for patent or market research costs; CSU Ventures will provide matching funds for these budget additions. Budgets for full applications need to be approved by CSU’s Office of Sponsored Programs prior to submitting the full application. Applicants selected for funding will also need to complete OEDIT’s online application in order to receive funding. Instructions on completing this application will be provided to selected applicants.
- September 5, 2017 – LOIs due to CSU Ventures by 4pm
- September 15, 2017 – Notify applicants invited to submit a full application
- October 2, 2017 – Budgets due to CSU Office of Sponsored Programs
- October 9, 2017 – Full applications due
- October 27, 2017 – Notify applicants of funding decisions
(2) OEDIT GENERAL POOL: Under the AI legislation, at least 15% of total program funding must be spent on POC awards. This money has already been allocated to Colorado research universities based on their R&D expenditures. However, OEDIT may, at its discretion, opt to expend more than the minimum 15% on POC awards. Applications can solicit POC funding for any of the seven advanced industries. If you would like to apply for the POC funding from the general pool, please contact CSU Ventures as soon as possible, so that we can grant you access to the POC application. Once you complete the application, CSU Ventures will provide the application certification form (required by OEDIT) and submit the proposal to OEDIT. Note that, in applying for funding from OEDIT, researchers should follow typical CSU/college/departmental guidelines pertaining to grant applications, including having their budgets approved by the CSU Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).