Support consists of two essential components:
- R&D Seed Funding up to $200K
- Participation in targeted Commercialization Workshops.
FUEL Grant Program Application Period is NOW OPEN.
To begin the process, please read the “Request for Proposals” PRIOR to completing a Letter of Intent.
Letters of Intent are due August 24th, 2020.
Learn More About the Program
What is the FUEL Program: The Two Essential Components
- The cornerstone of the program provides FUEL participants proof of concept grants of up to $200K for up to 2 years of support. Most of the funds for this program are provided by the Colorado Office of Economic Development & International Trade’s (COEDIT) Advanced Industries Accelerator (AIA) Proof of Concept (POC) program. While the state of Colorado program requires a 1:3 matching requirement for access to State funds (for every 1 dollar provided by the applicant, 3 dollars will be provided by OEDIT), CSU Ventures will ensure matching funds are provided for applications with no identified match.
- Applications that have identified their own sources of funding for a match will receive priority status in the review process.
- FUEL grants are intended to support commercially focused innovations requiring additional R&D critical for product validation and proof of concept.
- The second main component of the FUEL program are the commercialization workshops and seminar programs provided to each FUEL cohort. Teams in the FUEL cohort will participate in workshops for market/customer discovery (MARKET, MAP, and RESEARCH TO MARKET (R2M) workshops) and access to capital (FUND Workshop), all designed to increase their potential for success.
- MARKET workshop- Learn strategies to identify the best markets to launch the first product based on your technology, as well as to assess the competition you will face in those markets.
- MAP workshop- Develop commercializaiton maps that break down the process of moving a product into the market in to discrete steps.
- RESEARCH TO MARKET (R2M) Workshop– R2M is intended to ensure product-market fit for each funded team. R2M leverages proven methods to clarify customer problems in specific markets and helps teams optimize R&D strategies to enter those markets. This program includes workshops, intensive classroom instruction, as well as $3K travel grants available for customer discovery.
- FUND Workshop– Learn critical strategies to attract Federal SBIR/STTR funds, State of Colorado Early Stage Capital and Retention funds, as well as investor opportunities. Hear from others that have successfully funded their enterprise and work directly with them in one-on-one or small team workshop engagements to develop your funding strategy.
Who is Eligible to Participate
- FUEL funding proposals may request up to $200,000 for up to 2 years of funding support
- Matching Funds: While previous year’s funding required applicants to identify matching funds for the grant program, CSU Ventures and our CSU partners will provide matching funds for applications with no identified matches.
- Applications with their own identified match will receive priority status in the review process
- Awardees of the FUEL program funding will be expected to participate in the MARKET, MAP, R2M, AND FUND commercialization workshops
- Applicants invited to submit full applications will be emailed the full application template
The first step in developing a FUEL funding proposal is to submit a Letter of Intent, due August 24, 2020, 11:59 pm. 2020 – 2021 LOI Template
State of Colorado Advanced Industries Grant Program Information Links
About the State of Colorado's Advanced Industries (AI) Accelerator Program
The AI POC grant funding is intended to identify and pull technologies developed at research institutions and connect them to the private sector where they can be developed into products.